- This event has passed.
ATM Class Winter Session 2: Improve Your Posture, Taking Root to Fly
February 24, 2015 - April 2, 2015
Tuesday mornings or Thursday evenings
- Theme: Improve Your Posture, Taking Root to Fly
- Six Tuesdays: 9:30 – 10:30 AM, Feb. 24 – March 31 (with Nick)
- Six Thursdays: 5:45 – 6:45 PM, Feb. 26 – April 2 (with Beth)
- $105, or $70 JCC Member Value Price for any six classes (attend either day)
- JCC members $10 off with early bird registration before 2/16/15
- Call 651-698-0751 to register
As kids, many of us frequently heard “Stand up straight” or “don’t slouch!” Many people still say these words to themselves as adults, often not very nicely. We know that good posture is essential to good health, but we may have difficulties finding and maintaining comfortable uprightness for more than brief periods.
Rather than imposing good posture on ourselves with self-talk, willpower, and muscular effort, what if a healthy upright posture simply felt good, and we spontaneously preferred it to compressing our height and size? What if good posture could mean ease and lightness in standing, dynamic and enlivened sitting, and a long, free spine?
This six-week class uses exploratory movement and guided attention to help students discover the ease and efficiency of improved posture. Feldenkrais basics will be briefly discussed and demonstrated. These simple principles of biomechanics and neuromuscular reeducation will give students a basic toolkit for learning how to effectively and effortlessly change postural habits.
The class is designed for Feldenkrais newcomers as well as experienced students. Please bring a towel to fold for head support, and dress in layers.