Founding Donors, Sustaining Donors, Preview of the new Site’s Features, and Funds Raised
Visit this page for fundraising updates as we transition to the next phase of The Feldenkrais Project, our 100% donor-supported collection of online lessons. We’re launching a new website and improving our presentation, user experience, and global marketing strategy in service of our vision.
The Feldenkrais Project’s Vision:
- Spreading the life-changing benefits of Feldenkrais study as widely as possible, including to those who lack funds or access to teachers
- Elevating awareness of the Feldenkrais Method and generating interest in practitioners and classes worldwide
- Expanding our listener community and building on the success of our grassroots donations model to secure long-term funding for this project
2/8/19 Update: THANK YOU to our generous supporters! With over 150 donations arriving from around the world we have reached our goal and raised $8,000 to cover the transition to the new site. We are working hard to put the final touches on it right now! The testimonial of one Founding donor really speaks to the ethos of this project:
My favorite line so far from the recordings is “learning to be a human animal on this earth.” I love your approach to teaching, and I love this grassroots social justice model of providing a free and open resource by gathering contributions from people who have the means.– Johanna Rayman, Feldenkrais Practitioner and Clinical Social Worker
- Lesson collections right on the homepage and searchable on-site
- Elegant design makes it easier to share the Project, individual lessons, and collections
- Community pages will highlight our grassroots effort, vision, project goals, and permanent listings for our Founders
- Integrated donation software will help secure ongoing funding for the Project
- Many new “thank you” benefits for donors, in addition to an improved mp3 download page
I am extremely grateful for the contributions from our global community, including listeners in the United States, Israel, France, the Czech Republic and Australia, to name a few!
- Be recognized on a dedicated page on the new site, inspiring others to donate. I’ll reach out to ask how you’d like to appear (even anonymously, by initials and/or location if you wish).
- Receive a year of Founder benefits on the new site. These include:
- Easy download access to all lesson mp3s.
- Access to my new Straight from Class collection — at least one new lesson per month guaranteed! If you leave feedback in the lesson comments you’ll help shape future new primary content for all our listeners.
- Access to legacy lessons and alternate versions of lessons.
- Additional lesson notes, and access to advanced lesson search and sort.
- Various user experience upgrades
- Be recognized permanently as a Founder on www.feldenkraisproject.com when it launches. Feldenkrais Practitioner Founders also get a permanent link and/or contact information for their practice on the new site’s Find a Teacher page.
- Be invited to participate in a Zoom video conference in late February or March (TBD) for a face-to-face project update and a live Feldenkrais lesson with me, as well as any future Zoom conferences during the year (quarterly is the current plan).
- Discuss with me the possibility of linking your listing on the new site’s Founder’s page to a good cause of your choice, or perhaps to something you’ve created…or, if you are a Feldenkrais Practitioner, to your own practice!
We’re getting so close now and we’d love for everyone who can to pitch in! I am donating all my own hours spent shepherding this very exciting upgrade because I believe that more people, doing more Feldenkrais, makes the world a better place for all of us.
Thanks for all your support!
– Nick Strauss-Klein
PS – Please see below what our Founders and Sustainers to date are saying about why they support The Feldenkrais Project.
Founding donors have contributed $100 or more. Sustaining donors have committed to a monthly contribution of $20 or more. Check out what these donors are saying below.
Founding Donors ($100 or more):
Deborah Gieringer, $300, Feldenkrais Practitioner, Brooklyn, New York, USA
Gail Fishman, $250, Feldenkrais Professional Training Program trainee, Maryland, United States:
I have been doing Feldenkrais for at least 20 years…I am focused on improving my organization and function primarily. I have a bunch of fused vertebrae low and high and am always searching for my body and how to organize myself for comfort and function. I discovered your lessons and find them so easy to understand and follow and very encouraging. Thank you for providing these free online lessons so anyone can turn to you for help at any time!
JR, $200, software developer, USA:
Thank you for your philosophy of sharing ATM with everyone. Without your graciousness to make your course available to the internet without any upfront cost, I would have never discovered Feldenkrais. This has literally changed the way I look at life and how I live within my body. I cannot thank you enough.
Linda Flanders, $200, Feldenkrais Practitioner specializing in trauma victims, works at www.hope-coalition.org, Red Wing, Minnesota, USA:
What you are doing with donor-supported ATM’s for people is wonderful. I LOVE your project and your teaching style. TEACH the world! I really think you are on to something that Moshe Feldenkrais would be proud of, an excellent new business model.
…I just made another donation since I am so proud of what you are doing, and I just tried another lesson. I have taken up boxing at the young age of 70! Sometimes I get carried away and I woke up this morning with very strained back muscles. I was able to focus myself on what was moving/not moving, and in 10 minutes of the very first move, I was good. Jumped up and am off to work.
Diana Jacquot, $200, Maryland, USA:
I’m 78, still skiing, gardening, hiking, owing my active life to Feldenkrais. I add you to my list of memorable teachers as I have benefited so much from your online offerings. I’m so looking forward to the fruits of your new project.
Jessica Cook, $200, finance professional, Minnesota, USA:
Nick’s in-person classes have transformed my life, and I’m thrilled to now be able to share them with my friends and family online! Feldenkrais has retrained my nervous system, dramatically reduced my pain, and improved my every-day ease and comfort. I am so grateful for the lessons available at home whenever I need one.
Sharon O’Connor, $200, Physical Therapist and Feldenkrais Practitioner, Minnesota, USA:
I truly appreciate Nick’s wonderful lessons! In my experience, Nick’s excellent teaching style and knowledge of the work are of the same caliber as attending a professional Feldenkrais training program. I am contributing to this project because I believe it will make the method more widely known, so more people will benefit.
John Wallace, $200, retired philosophy professor, Minnesota, USA
I very much like your lessons — simple, clear, they very well fit my understanding of the Feldenkrais work. Keep it up! More flexible bodies will bring more flexible minds.
Janice Fricker, $180, Jerusalem, Israel:
Thanks again for bringing Feldenkrais to the world in a portable, accessible, easy-to-use way. Having you there and knowing that I can engage in supported self-care with ease makes me feel safer in the world. Wherever I am, I can always have a well-guided, caring, effective lesson to help me take care of my body.
Once I discovered Nick’s lessons, I gradually stopped using my other recordings of those ATMs. His precise teaching is filled with just enough anatomical details, vivid imagery and cues to spark curiosity and offer attentional guideposts without being overwhelming. He brings equal parts joy and intelligence to his classes, making listening and learning a pleasure. In considering my contribution, I chose a multiple of 18, the numerological equivalent of the Hebrew word for “life”, in honor of Moshe Feldenkrais who said: “Movement is life and without movement life is unthinkable.” I’m supporting this project because I can’t think of a better way to bring more Feldenkrais to the world and introduce more of the world to Feldenkrais!
You have no idea how much we value your lessons. We had had a local class which we enjoyed and which helped us immensely, but the instructor went on to other ventures. When we found your online classes, we didn’t have high expectations. Wow! Were we mistaken. We listened to other cd’s through the library, but the instructors were just talking; there was no class present. In your lessons it is evident that you state an instruction, see how it is interpreted, and then make corrections as needed, and your voice is pleasantly well-modulated, which is an important quality in Feldenkrais. We highly recommend your classes. Warmest regards and gratitude for your gift to us.
Mary, founder and repeat donor, $120 contributed:
I consider myself fortunate to be able to contribute. Not only do I get to benefit from your audio ATMs, but I also get to help fund such a worthwhile project!!
Happy to be able to support the next phase of The Feldenkrais Project. In Hebrew the letter values for 18 spell “life.” Hoping this donation helps in a little way to bringing life to your project and work! Thanks for all that you do!
Julie Sandler-Friedman, $100, PT MS, physical therapist and Feldenkrais Practitioner, New York, USA:
Your online lessons are beautiful. Your voice quality, word choices, timing, clarity, specificity and, finally your attitude of warmth and acceptance, make your lessons true gems. I use them myself, and recommend your site, and your ATM lessons, to my patients and clients all the time.
NM, $100, retired teacher:
Feldenkrais gave me the joy of living in a body, somehow inaccessible to me before. In moments of awareness I know find pleasure in the many random movements in a day, walking, reaching up, bending down. I am so grateful for this awakening. I’d like to have a small part in what Nick is offering to everyone.
Beth Middleton, $100, childcare professional and RIE(R) Intern, Minnesota, USA:
Nick’s project has deepened my understanding, awareness and appreciation for both Feldenkrais and how I move. I donated because I believe this project to be valuable, healing and helpful. Thanks, Nick!
Lauri Sippel, $100, Occupational Therapist and Certified Awareness Through Movement Teacher:
I learn so much from your lessons, it’s hard to know where to begin! I think your vocabulary is wonderful, there are times I make notes of the words you use to describe the noticings as well as the movements. You are also very expressive with your voice and tone, it creates a lovely ambience and very safe learning milieu. I can hear kindness and encouragement in your tone. I also really appreciate that on the website you give us the origins of the ATM work. It is important that we stay true to the work of Dr. Feldenkrais and the importance of learning the method as he created it.
AP, $100, Czech Republic:
I love the Feldenkrais Method. I have been doing many forms of movement intensively for many years. Yoga, Pilates, Qigong, dance, I still do some of them. Feldenkrais is different. For me it is the base, like the alphabet, or air. Between many beautiful and inspiring teachers I am lucky to know, I am really enjoying Nick’s lessons. And I am looking forward to the new ones.
Frank A. Farris, $100, mathematician, San Jose, CA, USA:
After studying with Nick in several “bursts,” I’ve maintained what I learned with remote audio lessons. Even though I live in California now, I can continue to learn from Nick.
KD, $100, France
I’m so grateful for the difference Feldenkrais has made in my life and I want others to learn about this amazing movement modality. The world needs what you have to offer – keep spreading the word, you do it so well!
Hannah Texler, $100, Plant Ecologist, Minnesota Biological Survey, MN DNR. Age 61, Minnesota, USA:
I have been practicing Feldenkrais with Nick for many years, through classes, workshops, individual work, and ATM lessons. Together with yoga, Feldenkrais helps me lead a busy, active life, reduces stress, and reminds my body how to move with ease. Nick is a skilled and gentle teacher, and I am grateful to have free and easy access to these lessons!
HO on behalf of MLV in Caracas, Venezuela: $100
Sustaining Donors ($20 per month or more):
Elizabeth Suhr, $20 per month, Melbourne, Australia:
I decided to set up a monthly donation because
1) I love your lessons, which are so well presented and allow me to enjoy the benefits of a wonderful teacher and class when I can’t get to one here in my home city.
2) I wholeheartedly endorse your view that more people discovering and practicing Feldenkrais will make the world a better place and I applaud your initiative in trying to make that happen. It makes sense to me that those of us in a position to contribute something financially do so – it’s a small but important gesture to help you provide something so worthwhile to the widest possible range of people. In my experience the periods in life when we most need certain kinds of support tend to be the same periods that we least likely to have the means to access them, so hopefully regular donors help people who are not able to donate at the moment.
3) I want you to be able to continue your great work!
THANK YOU again for donating, and reading about why all these listeners want to support The Feldenkrais Project. Please join them!
- Sign up for our email list (and encourage your friends to do the same!)
- Like Twin Cities Feldenkrais on Facebook
- Leave public comments on the lesson pages